Opening styles – doors
Because of privacy and visibility issues, entrance doors are rarely fully glazed and often are half-boarded or with a small fixed window at the top. For buildings with porches, there might also need to be fixed glazed side lights etc.
Can be for either front or back doors.
- Offers ventilation
- Security – offers a physical barrier while allowing occupants to speak to visitors
- More expensive than regular entrance doors
- Less airtight than regular entrance doors
Tend to be single doors opening inwards into (typically) a kitchen or utility room Back doors may not need a mobility threshold and tend to be either fully glazed or half glazed as privacy issues tend to be less important (ie the back door is less likely to be overlooked)
French doors (double)
Double doors that usually open outwards onto a garden or patio. Usually fully glazed to get the benefit of light into house and view outside.
- Can be locked from outside and has handles on outside of door
- Can be inward or outward opening
- Total maximum opening width about 2400 mm X 2400 mm*
Fold-aside (bi-fold) doors
Usually open onto a garden or patio from a room – ideal for those wanting to create the effect of the having the ‘outside inside’! Can go in a wider gap/ opening than a French door .
- Good for larger openings in the wall
- Facade can open the whole span of the opening
- Maximum individual door leaf size up to around 850 mm so has a greater timber to glass ratio (ie there is not a large unbroken expanse of glass). Example max sizes: 6000 mm X 2400 mm*
- Less airtight than other options.
Lift & slide
- Larger (uninterrupted) panes of glass
- Maximum individual door leaf size up to 2500 mm X 2500 mm*
- Very simple and easy to operate
- Only supplied with an internal handle
Balcony tilt & turn door
Essentially this is a very large window that can be used as an inward-opening door in certain situations (eg for a ‘juliet balcony’). Available as a single or double door.
- Good levels of airtightness
- Less expensive than a door
- Only open inwards
*Please note: For Part Q and Secured By Design items, there may be size restrictions. Please get in touch to discuss.