Following the recent UN IPCC report outlining the urgent timescales needed for climate action, Green Building Store has been exploring further ways that we can take action as a company to respond to the climate emergency. Below are some new commitments that we have made:
- Lending our support to the Kirklees Climate Emergency campaign – calling on our local council to pass a Climate Emergency Motion and to set targets for drastic cuts to climate emissions. Support will include printing materials, publicity work, voluntary time given by Directors and others to promote and share best practice on low energy construction.
- Sharing news of the climate emergency on our social media and newsletter platforms.
- Increasing involvement in Zero Carbon Yorkshire BUILDINGS/ AECB Yorkshire group to ensure that there is a strong local response and readiness to address the climate crisis from building and construction industry.
These are in addition to our ongoing activities:
- Working collectively with the AECB and Passivhaus Trust to promote best practice in low energy building.
- Working with ShareAction to campaign for our pension provider The People’s Pension to reduce its exposure to the risk of stranded assets by offering an alternative fossil free pension option.
- Committing to planting a tree for every window order placed, in an ongoing partnership with the Trees for Yorkshire campaign and Colne Valley Tree Society.
- Sharing resources on Passivhaus and radical retrofit for building professionals and selfbuilders through films, technical briefings and blogs on our website. Offering ‘Introduction to Passivhaus’ CPDs and talks to building professionals and selfbuilders across the UK.
- Continuing to source and supply high performance building products suitable for low energy homes and buildings and seeking to minimise the impact of our products and operations.
- Using our construction arm Green Building Company to undertake innovative research and development in construction and retrofit.
- Continuing campaigning work to promote Passivhaus and low energy building by Green Building Store Director Chris Herring through voluntary roles with the AECB, Passivhaus Trust and International Passivhaus Association. Dissemination of Passivhaus construction best practice through Director Bill Butcher’s role in teaching on the AECB CarbonLite CEPH and Retrofit course.
We would welcome any further suggestions for ways we can take action. Please email [email protected] with your ideas.