Developed in Germany in the 1990s, Passivhaus (or ‘passive house’) is a quality assured standard and methodology for low energy building, which can help create buildings which use up to 90% less energy for space heating in comparison with the UK average dwelling stock*.
Key Passivhaus features
- Super insulation
- Stringent levels of airtightness
- Minimal thermal bridging
- Optimisation of passive solar gain
- Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
Building & renovating using the Passivhaus methodology
View our blogs and films and download technical briefings on the following projects:
- Denby Dale Passivhaus project – the UK’s first cavity wall Passivhaus
- Stirley Farm EnerPHit – innovative barn conversion for Yorkshire Wildlife Trust to EnerPHit (Passivhaus retrofit) standard.
- Golcar Passivhaus – newbuild cavity wall Passivhaus, with a few notable differences/ evolutions of the original detailing for Denby Dale.
Passivhaus suitable products & services
- Windows & doors – ULTRA. PROGRESSION
- Airtightness products – Pro Clima airtightness tapes, membranes, adhesives, grommets etc
- Insulation – Specialist Compacfoam insulation and bespoke Vacuum Insulated Panel insulation
- MVHR systems – Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery systems
Green Building Store offers a comprehensive range of consultancy services for building professionals to help projects meet low energy building standards.
One-day intensive courses and site visits for building professionals and self-builders, giving a practical and technical guide into cavity wall Passivhaus construction techniques,
FREE CPDs on Passivhaus products and design.
*Average UK dwelling stock uses energy at a rate of 278 kWh/m2/annum (Source: AECB yearbook – the Sustainable Building Guide – 2006/7) and space heating makes up 56% of all domestic energy use. (Source: DECC 2007 figures).
Passivhaus houses use around 90% less energy for space heating than the average UK home (15 kWh/m2/annum, as opposed to 155.68 kWh/m2/annum for average dwelling stock). Space heating needs for Passivhaus are 15 kWh/m2/annum.