Company actively supporting staff wishing to join the climate strike on 20 September
Green Building Store Directors and staff will be joining the global climate strike on 20 September 2019, supporting the call from Greta Thunberg and youth climate strikers for people of all ages to join them to demand urgent climate action.
The company, based near Huddersfield, has a mission to make buildings more energy efficient and promotes the Passivhaus low energy building standard, which offers tried and tested solutions for the radical reduction of carbon emissions from buildings. Green Building Store employs over 30 staff and supplies a wide range of specialist building products for Passivhaus and low energy buildings. It is actively supporting any staff wishing to join the climate strike on 20 September, including paying them if they do take the day off to take part in climate strike actions.
Green Building Store Director Bill Butcher commented: “Our company was founded 24 years ago in response to our concerns about the environment and the threat of climate change. During that time, successive governments have failed to act quickly enough to prevent climate breakdown. As the recent UN IPCC report shows, time to act is running out fast. We need to act like it’s an emergency and this is one way we can do that.”
Green Building Store Director Chris Herring said: “We have been inspired by the youth climate strike movement and felt that we had to answer their call for help and lend our support in a more substantial way. We are already aware of other companies from the sustainable construction community who are also wanting to get involved. As parents, grandparents, employers and human beings, we are supporting the Global Climate Strike as a way to help drive Governments to act with the urgency required to prevent climate breakdown.”
On 20 September Chris, Bill and other Green Building staff will be attending the Climate Strike demonstrations in Huddersfield and elsewhere. Green Building Store staff, who choose to attend, will be paid as normal.
Sign up to support the Global Climate Strike on 20 September 2019 here: globalclimatestrike.net
TUC to debate solidarity walk-out with school climate strikers: https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/3079904/tuc-to-debate-solidarity-walk-out-with-climate-strikers
Press release: Millions gear up for September’s Global Climate Strikes: https://globalclimatestrike.net/press-release-millions-gear-up-to-take-part-in-septembers-global-climate-strikes/
Other built environment supporters of the Global Climate Strike
- UK Green Building Council supporting the Global Climate Strike: https://www.ukgbc.org/events/join-ukgbc-team-members-and-friends-on-the-global-climate-strike-on-20-september/
- John Gilbert Architects supporting the Global Climate Strike: https://twitter.com/johngilbertarch/status/1157214563168915457?s=20
- Journalist Kate de Selincourt: https://twitter.com/Kate_de/status/1160313443746013184?s=20
- Es Tresidder, Highland Passive: https://twitter.com/EsTresidder/status/1160435750447603712?s=20
- Bennetts Associates: https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/opinion/why-bennetts-is-joining-the-global-climate-strike-on-20-september/
- Ben Adam-Smith, House Planning Help: https://twitter.com/BenAdamSmith/status/1161296388707299328?s=20
- AECB joins Global Climate Strike: https://www.aecb.net/aecb-global-climate-strike/
- Architype architectural practice: https://twitter.com/JurajMikurcik/status/1168855816692293632?s=20
- Collective Architecture: https://twitter.com/ScottwbMcAulay/status/1168864202657849344?s=20
Businesses and organisations supporting the #GlobalClimateStrike can sign up as a partner here: globalclimatestrike.net/partners/.